Disclaimer: This is google translated website. BLS International is not responsible for any translation errors, and we recommend to follow the English website.

Language English हिंदी മലയാളം
-A A +A A A

Frequently asked questions

Q1. What should one check when they received their new issued passport?

  • Ans. On receiving the new passport one should check if all the information provided i.e.name, address, date of birth, gender, place of birth, place of issue, parents / spouse name, signature is accurate, correct and legible. Check if the photograph is proper and clear. Check for stamps and signature of the Passport issuing authority. Check if the lamination is proper. Any discrepancy notices should be reported immediately before using this passport for travel.

Q2. I am presently residing in UAE. I got my passport when I was on my Delhi address. Now I have shifted toBangalore. Should I change my address in the passport? …. If change is required, what are the documents required and how much time will it take?

Q3. I don't have ECNR stamp in my Passport. Can I get it on the basis of my provisional matriculation or above certificate issued by the University/Board concerned?

  • Ans. The Indian Mission is no longer affixing ECNR stamp in passports. In fact it is not even printed in most of the new passport booklets unless otherwise on special cases which is on the discretion of the mission. Currently, only ECR stamp is being put in passports if applicant is not eligible for ECNR.

    However, if you wish to change to an ECNR status - you should possess qualification of Matriculation or above from a recognized University / Education Board of India. You can also get ECNR status on the basis of provisional matriculation certificate if the mark sheets of all semesters of your course are available with you.

    Applicants who do not have educational certificates should have stayed abroad for more than 3 years excluding the period(s) of visit to India or should be a dependent who is below 18 years and whose parents have ECNR status in their passports or should be a person (he/she) whose spouse has ECNR status in his or her passport or should be above 50 years of age

    You can visit the checklist available for Cancellation of ECR Status

Q4. I got my passport 2 years ago, but was married recently. Should I include my spouse's name in my passport? If so, what is the procedure?

  • Ans. It is recommended to include your spouse's name in your passport. In this case the Indian Mission, UAE issues a new passport. For this, one has to fill and submit EAP-I form along with original marriage certificate duly attested from concerned state home department where the marriage is registered, photocopy of spouse's passport (if she has one). You can visit our website for the checklist available for Adding Spouse name in your passport

Q5. How many pages passport can one apply for and what are its charges.

  • Ans. One can apply for either 36 pages of 60 pages. 36 Pages is the regular passport. 60 pages is a Jumbo passport which can be applied for if one is a frequent traveler. Please click here for Passport Fee

Q6. Can one renew the passport if the UAE Residency Visa is expired?

  • Ans. Yes one can renew passport if UAE Residency Visa has expired. Please click here for the guidelines on Passport requirement

Q7. Can one renew a UAE Issued passport if he or she is on a Visit Visa?

  • Ans. Passport application for renewal can be submitted only with a valid UAE Residency Visa or if he / she have received a job offer and submit can the original job offer letter along with the application. For more information on other relevant documents to be submitted along with passport application for renewal of passport please click here.

Q8. Can one continue using hand written passport which has validity beyond 24th November, 2015

  • Ans. lndian citizens living in lndia and abroad are advised to urgently replace their handwritten passports with machine-readable passports. The international civil Aviation organization (ICAO) has set a deadline of the 24th November, 2015 for globally phasing out of all non-Machine Readable Passports (MRPs). Thereafter, foreign Governments may deny Visa or entry to any person travelling on a non-Machine Readable Passport. If he or she has a validity of a hand written passport beyond 24th November, 2015 he or she has to apply for a new passport.

Q9. Can one travel to India from UAE if an Indian Citizen does not have a valid Visa or Passport

  • Ans. In a situation where one does not have a valid Visa or Passport in UAE, he or she can apply for an Emergency Certificate or Temporary Passport which is valid for 1 trip to Indian within 3 months.

Q10. Can an Indian Citizen travel to Israel from UAE with the Indian Passport

  • Ans. Yes one can travel to Israel from UAE on procuring a special Passport for Israel. For more information please visit the nearest BLS Centers or call the call center at 04 387 5777.

Q11. Can an Indian citizen hold dual country passport.

  • Ans. Indian citizen are not allowed to hold an Indian Passport along with a passport of another nationality. However one can opt to get Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) to Persons of Indian Origin (PIO), however this will be on surrendering of Indian Passport. Please refer to the guidelines on our website for Surrendering of Indian Passport: Guideline for surrendering of Indian Passport, Embassy of India, Abu Dhabi and Consulate General of India, Dubai. PIOs of certain categories that migrated from India and acquired citizenship of a foreign country other than Pakistan and Bangladesh are eligible for grant of OCI as long as their home countries allow for dual citizenship in some form or the other under their local laws.

Q12. When can we visit BLS Centers

  • Ans. BLS International Services Center is open from 08.00 AM to 08.00 PM - Saturday to Thursday (exception being the Holidays observed by BLS International UAE).
  • In Dubai and Sharjah Center Tokens are issued from 8.00AM - 12.00 Noon and 1.00 PM - 6.30PM.
  • In Abu Dhabi Center Tokens are issued from 8.00AM - 01.30 PM and 2.30 PM - 6.30PM.
  • You can visit the Premium Lounge from 08.00 AM to 08.00 PM - Saturday to Thursday.
  • BLS International Centers located within Indian Association or Indian Relief Committee premises, tokens are issued from 08.00am to 01.00pm and 4pm to 6.30pm

Q13. I have a one-month-old baby? Does the baby require a separate passport or his/her name can be endorsed in one of the parents' passport?

Q14. In case of a minor child passport, whose mother is in India and father in UAE, whether father should submit consent to mother to apply for a passport? If so, what is the procedure?

  • Ans. Yes. Consent of the spouse, who is in the UAE (abroad), is required for submitting the Passport application. It should be in the form of a Sworn Affidavit issued by IVS Global, UAE duly attested by the Indian Mission in UAE (if parent has residency visa of Dubai, he will have to get the Sworn Affidavit from IVS Global Dubai with attestation from Consulate General of India, Dubai and in case of residency visa from Abu Dhabi then Sworn Affidavit from IVS Global, Abu Dhabi attested by Embassy of India, Abu Dhabi)

Q15. What is the difference between Re-issue and Renewal of a passport?

  • Ans. Re-issue & Renewal of passport is getting a fresh passport. There are no endorsement services available as all passports need to be Machine Readable Passport.

Q16. My passport expired 5 years ago. Can I renew it? What is the procedure for it?

  • Ans. Yes you can avail a new passport on providing the following – Filled EAP-I form along with original/photocopy of your expired passport, proof of your residence/address (tenancy contract), job offer letter (attested by Chamber of Commerce), trade license of your new company and company photo testified letter. However, since the passport has expired 5 years ago, prior approval of Indian Mission UAE is required along with Sworn Affidavit from IVS Global for late submission. You can visit our website and check "Other Information section in Passport requirements for Dubai and Passport Requirement for Abu Dhabi

Q17. What documents are required when there is a change in name on account of Divorce?

  • Ans. Following documents are required to be submitted along with passport application to change name in passport incase of Divorce.
    In case of Change back to Maiden Surname
    • Certified copy of Divorce Decree/Court order (duly attested from the family court where the divorce took place); or Divorce Certificate from Jama-at / Kazi etc (duly attested from state home department where the divorce took place), in accordance with Personal Law in respect of Muslims. In case of decree or court order is provided in any other language other than English, it needs to be translated in legal English language.
    • Deed Poll / Sworn Affidavit regarding change of name.
    • Proof of Maiden Name. (incase of no proof available for maiden name, please follow name change procedure
    In case of complete name change after divorce
    In case of change in name on remarriage

Q18. Is it mandatory to submit Birth Certificate in cases of those who are born on or after 26.01.1989?

  • Ans. Yes, Birth Certificate issued by Registrar of Births only is acceptable for those born on or after 26.01.1989.

Q19. In a case of a Muslim passport holder, whether entry of second wife name is allowed on passport.

  • Ans. Yes. But name of the first wife name will remain on the passport if divorce is not obtained.

Q20. Should fees be charged for miscellaneous services when a person applies for them at the same time as he applies for a new passport, either for the first time or on expiry of the previous passport?

  • Ans. No additional fee should be charged for various miscellaneous services such as change of name, change of address, ECNR stamp etc. when these services are applied for in conjunction with the application for a new passport. The fee for a new passport is a consolidated fee covering all these services.

Q21. What about Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) if it is applied for in conjunction with the application for a new passport? Should the charge for miscellaneous service be levied on this occasion?

  • Ans. Yes. Issue of PCC is a distinct miscellaneous service and does not form an integral part of the passport. This service should be applied for on a separate form EAP-II and the relevant fee should be charged in addition to the fee for issue of fresh passport. It is recommended to go for renewal of passport first if your current passport is close to expiry for that the new passport # gets mentioned in the PCC.

Q22. When should the miscellaneous service charge prescribed respectively under items 11 and 12 of Schedule IV to the Passport Rules be charged?

  • Ans. Miscellaneous services have been consolidated into those which do or do not require issue of a fresh passport booklet. Any miscellaneous service which requires a fresh booklet to be issued will be charged as per the new booklet charges. This would cover services involving change of entry on the laminated front and back (inner) covers of the passport, like change of name, change of photograph etc. This would also apply when an additional booklet is issued when pages of the old booklet are exhausted.
  • All other miscellaneous services on ordinary passports where only an endorsement (addition of 2nd wife's name of a Muslim) on the passport is required will be charged separately as per the prescribed fee.
  • EXCEPTION:- In the case of replacement of lost or damaged passport, involving issue of a new passport booklet, the fee will be charged separately

Q23. What is the fee to be charged in case of replacement of lost or damaged passport?

  • Ans. In case the lost or damaged passport's validity has not expired, the fee for issue of a duplicate passport is dhs.570. In case the lost or damaged passport's validity has already expired and a fresh passport is issued, the fee to be charged in such cases would be that as prescribed for a fresh passport only. Please visit the website to check passport fees

Q24. Can legal guardians apply for the passport of a minor?

  • Ans. A Legal guardian can apply for the passport of a minor child provided he/she submits besides the standard documents, a certified copy of the court order appointing him/her as the legal guardian. Prior approval from Indian Mission, UAE is also required. Presence of the child and the legal guardian is mandatory while submitting the passport application.

Q25. What is the Processing Time for Passports submitted to the Indian Mission

  • Ans. Processing time starts from the next day of submission. As our work is administrative in nature, we are not in a position to guarantee the issuance of a passport. Issuance of Passport is determined only by the Embassy of India, Abu Dhabi or Consulate General of India, Dubai.
  • Working Days for processing applications submitted at Embassy of India, Abu Dhabi
Type of Passport / Type of Service Minimum Working Days
Abu Dhabi issued Passport (Adult / Minor) 15
Passport Issued other than Abu Dhabi (Adult / Minor) 40
All Tatkal Applications 5
Registration of Child New Passport Application 15
Lost/Damaged- Abu Dhabi Issued Passport No time frame / Depends upon Embassy Approval
Lost/Damaged- Passport Issue other than Abu Dhabi No time frame / Depends upon Embassy Approval
Miscellaneous Services 5

Working Days for processing applications at Consulate General of India, Dubai.

Type of Passport / Type of Service Minimum Working Days
Dubai Issued Passport 7
Passport Issued other than Dubai 7
All Tatkal Applications 3
All Minor Child Passport Renewal 7
Registeration of Child New Passport Application 10
Registeration of Child New Passport Application Tatkal 5
Lost/Damaged- Dubai Issued Passport 7
Lost/Damaged- Passport Issue other than Dubai 7

Q26. What are the "Other Service" provided by BLS International

  • Ans. Other services provided by BLS International are optional and is provided for the convenience of the applicants.
  • Premium Lounge Service (AED 225 per applicant)
S.No. Other Services Pricing
1. Form filling for New Passport, other consular and miscellaneous services AED 30 per Form.
2. Form Filling for Online Visa Application Form AED 30 per Form.
3. Form filling for Lost / Damaged Passport AED 30 per Form.
4. Photocopy AED 1 per copy.
5. Photographs (We do not click photos for New Born Babies) AED 30 for 6 photographs.
6. Courier Service AED 30 per shipment delivery
7. SMS Alerts AED 7

For visiting the page "Other Service" please click here